Jet skis are powerful machines that, when used properly, can be great fun. However, accidents involving jet skis do occur from time to time and, because of their size and power, can lead to very serious injuries and even fatalities. This guide on jet ski accident claims has been written to give you some idea of the types of accidents that could mean you’re eligible to claim compensation. We’ll also consider how much compensation could be awarded for jet ski-related injuries.
Whether you’ve had a jet ski accident in the UK or abroad, we could help. We offer a no-obligation consultation over the phone where your chances of receiving compensation will be assessed. You’ll get free legal advice and could be referred to a personal injury solicitor from our team. If they accept your case, they’ll try to reduce your stress levels and financial risk by working on a No Win No Fee basis.
To speak to a specialist right away, please call 0800 6524 881 today or, alternatively, read on to find out more about jet ski injury accident claims.
Table of contents
- Am I Eligible To Make A Jetski Accident Claim?
- Common Injuries Caused By Jet Ski Accidents
- I Was Injured By A Jet Ski On Holiday
- How Much Compensation For A Jet Ski Accident Could I Claim?
- Fatal Jet Ski Accidents
- Evidence To Support A Jetski Accident Claim
- Jet Ski Accident Claim Time Limits
- Starting The Jet Ski Accident Claims Process
Our solicitors have plenty of experience in handling personal injury claims. That experience allows them to check the chances of winning a claim before agreeing to accept it. The criteria they’ll check to determine your eligibility to make a jet ski accident claim include:
- Were you (the claimant) owed a duty of care by the defendant; and
- Did the defendant’s negligence lead to a jet ski accident; and
- Were you injured in that accident?
If one of our solicitors believes all of the above is true in your case and agrees to represent you, it means they believe you’ve got a good chance of being compensated.
If you hire a jet ski from a company and their negligence causes you to have an accident while riding it, you might be eligible to claim for any injuries. For example, you could claim for a jet ski accident caused by:
- A mechanical fault with the jet ski.
- Inadequate safety advice at the point of hiring the jet ski.
- Missing, damaged or faulty safety equipment such as the automatic cut-out switch.
- A poorly maintained or faulty jet ski.
If you have been injured while riding a jet ski and the accident was caused by the negligence of somebody else on the water (boats, other jet skis etc), we could also help you to claim. Please get in touch for more information.
Being struck by a jet ski can result in extremely serious injuries that can be life-changing. If you or a loved one has been struck by a jet ski, you could claim compensation if the incident was caused by:
- The jet ski being ridden outside of a marked safety zone on the water.
- A jet ski rider under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- A jet ski that was being ridden recklessly (showing off, excessive speed etc).
- Riders under the age of 18 years old.
- A jet ski that had been unrestricted to allow it to travel at faster speeds.
If you’re not sure if you have a valid jet ski accident claim, please call our team today and an advisor will review your case with you for free.
As set out above, you could be compensated for a jet ski injury caused by somebody else’s negligence. Some common injuries caused by jet ski accidents that might lead to a claim include:
Don’t worry if your injury is not listed here, we could still help you to claim if you call our team for a free review of your case.
Even if your jet ski accident occurred on holiday abroad, we could still help you to claim compensation if your holiday was part of a package deal. This means that you’ll have paid for two or more parts of your holiday together i.e. the flights and hotel or the flights and excursions (including jet ski activities).
In this scenario, UK laws would apply and you claim against the package holiday provider as they’ll have a duty of care to ensure that any activities you book with them are as safe as possible.
In the first instance, you should report your accident to your holiday rep or advice line. After that, you could contact us for a free consultation about your options.
If you seek compensation for a jet ski accident, the first thing to do is prove the severity of your injuries. Therefore, you may booked in for an independent medical assessment as part of the claims process. This will help to determine your prognosis which will then be used to determine how much compensation for a jet ski accident you’ll claim. For now, you can use the compensation calculator below for guideline injury compensation amounts:
On top of any compensation for your physical injuries, you could also receive special damages to cover:
- Any emotional or psychological injuries (distress, flashbacks, anxiety etc).
- Medical treatment costs.
- Loss of enjoyment of normal activities affected by your injuries.
- The cost of a carer.
- Lost earnings and future losses for longer-term injuries.
- Travel expenses.
- Mobility aids.
- Replacing clothing and other items damaged in the accident.
- Making accessibility changes to your home (or vehicle) if you’ve sustained a disability.
Please contact us if you’d like to know how much compensation for a jet ski accident you may be eligible to claim.
We fully understand that being compensated for a fatal accident claim won’t help you to deal with the loss of a loved one following a jet ski accident. However, any costs you’ve incurred because of the accident (such as funeral expenses) could be claimed back. You could also receive compensation to cover the loss of companionship or any financial problems caused if you were reliant on the deceased’s income, pension or other benefits.
If you would like to talk to us about your options, please speak with one of our specially trained advisors.
Your solicitor’s job will be to present a concise and clear case as to why you should be compensated for your injuries. This process will be made easier if there is ample evidence to support a jet ski accident claim. This could include:
- Video footage of the accident if it was recorded on a phone or video camera by a spectator.
- Photographs to demonstrate any damage or faults on the jet ski and any visible injuries you’ve sustained.
- Witness statements from anybody else who was there at the time you were injured.
- Medical records and x-rays to help prove the extent of your injuries (these can be requested from the hospital when needed).
- Accident report forms if you informed the jet ski owner or holiday company about your accident.
The more evidence that’s available, the better. Therefore, if you are able to do so, it’s a good idea to try to gather any of the information above as soon as possible. If you’ve already got evidence available when you call us, please let the advisor know as it could improve the chances of winning your claim.
The time limit for any personal injury claim in the UK is 3 years. When making a jet ski compensation claim, the time limit will usually start from the date of the accident. If you’re claiming for a fatal jet ski accident, the time limit starts from the date you found out about the death.
We always suggest that it’s a good idea to start your claim as soon as you can after the accident. In some cases, this can lead to interim payments that will help to cover any immediate expenses like medical treatment costs or lost income.
Importantly, the time limit for claims involving children doesn’t begin until their 18th birthday. Before then, however, a litigation friend such as a parent or guardian can claim at any point.
To find out if you could receive compensation for a jet ski accident, please call 0800 6524 881 today. There’s no obligation to start a claim but we’ll explain your options and provide free legal advice about your chances of being awarded compensation.
If your claim is strong enough and you wish to claim for your injuries, we’ll refer you to a personal injury solicitor on our team. If they are happy to represent you, they’ll work on a No Win No Fee basis.
Our online chat advisors can help if you’d like more information about the process of making a jet ski accident claim so please get in touch.