Bing stabbed can of course be a traumatic experience with far reaching consequences. Nothing can prepare you for the horror and the pain that comes from the assault. Even worse is the fact that the ordeal doesn’t often end there. Being stabbed can leave deep physical, mental and emotional scars that last long after the stabbing incident. Stabbing victims often experience recurring nightmares and other symptoms of PTSD, all of which significantly impact quality of life.
If you have been the victim of a stabbing, you may be entitled to claim compensation for your stab related injuries.
How Stabbing Injury Claims Can Differ From Other Injury Claims
Most personal injury claims are filed against a known offender. For example, in the case of workplace accidents, a claim is typically filed against an employer or another worker. The biggest challenge in the case of a stabbing injury is that the assailant is often unknown.
Recognising the challenges that stabbing victims may encounter when trying to get the compensation due to them, the UK government established the Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority or CICA. The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority enables stabbing victims to claim compensation for various types of criminal injuries regardless of whether or not their attacker was caught or convicted.
How The CICA Works
Anybody who has been a victim of a violent crime in the UK is eligible to apply to this compensation scheme. You should b able to get compensation for your stabbing injuries through this scheme provided you meet certain criteria:
- The stabbing incident happened within the previous 2 years. Stabbing incidents that happened in childhood are exempt from this 2-year limitation.
- You should have filed a formal police report.
- A medical report verifies that your injuries were caused by stabbing.
- There should be no close link or relationship between you and your assailant, which may indicate that your attacker could benefit from any compensation awarded to you.
- Your injuries must be serious enough to meet the minimum compensation amount that is awarded through the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme.
- You should not have contributed to the assault in any way. If it is proved that you acted aggressively or provoked the attacker in any manner, your claim may be rejected.
If you meet all of the above requirements, the CICA will assess your injuries and calculate your compensation based on the severity of your injuries. To find out more on a criminal injuries claim please refer to our page here.
Making A Stabbing Injury Compensation Claim
Claiming compensation through the CICA can be a lengthy, tedious process as you try to figure out the many requirements and legalities involved, and make sure that you don’t make any mistakes that could jeopardise your stabbing compensation claim. Moreover, your claim must be filed within 2 years of the stabbing incident. This means you should really look to start the proceedings even if you have not yet fully healed from the assault. This can be more difficult than you may imagine. Having a personal injury solicitor process your claim is the best way to ensure that the claim is successful.
Many personal injury solicitors have vast experience dealing with the CICA. They know exactly what is required to file a successful stabbing injury claim and how to avoid potential pitfalls. More than just the legal aspects, a personal injury solicitor would have interacted with several stab victims and will be empathetic towards you and your horrifying experience. Our solicitors go out of their way to ensure that claimants get the compensation due to them and that the process is as painless as possible in every way, and they all work on the basic of a No Win No Fee agreement.
A No Win No Fee agreement essentially states that the solicitor will fund all expenses related to your stabbing injury claim so you have one less thing to worry about. You only pay an agreed fee if your claim is successful and the CICA awards you compensation. The No Win No Fee agreement will have a detailed breakdown of how much you have to pay and how the payment will be made, in our case the fee is deducted from the compensation awarded.
How Much Compensation For Being Stabbed Can You Claim?
The exact amount of stabbing injury compensation that you can claim for being stabbed may vary depending on several factors including the severity of your injuries. Some types of compensation you can claim for include but are not limited to:
- General damages – This is compensation awarded for all the pain and suffering you experienced. This includes the physical and psychological pain, both at the time of the stabbing and the period following the incident. It covers issues such as post traumatic stress disorder, anxiety, and depression.
- Medical expenses – Depending on the severity and type of the stab injury, your short and long term medical expenses can start to build up substantially. Compensation for medical expenses covers all out of pocket expenses for short and long term medical treatment associated with the stabbing injuries. These could include costs of diagnostic examinations, surgery, and prescription medications. It also includes reimbursement for long-term physical therapy and counselling.
- Cost of transportation – Whether you take public transportation or drive your own car, the cost of traveling to and from medical appointments can add up significantly. This clause reimburses all your travel expenses related to the stabbing.
- Loss of income – It can take a long time to recover from a stabbing assault. More often than not, stabbing victims are forced to take leave from work for extended periods of time while they heal physically and emotionally. Some may not be able to return to work at all. The compensation awarded under this clause is meant to tide you over financially while you are unable to earn an income.
- Loss of amenity – You may also be able to claim compensation for loss of amenity if you have had to give up certain activities or hobbies because of your stabbing injuries.
When you have a personal injury solicitor representing you, you know that they will pull out all the stops to seek the maximum stabbing injury compensation you are entitled to.